Professional Certificate in Political Finance Regulation
24th - 28th September 2018, London, UK
Across the world, the issue of money in politics is being discussed now more than ever. The consequences of not effectively regulating money in politics would challenge democracy from its core.
Democratic values, such as good governance, social cohesion and equal opportunities for all, as well as overall trust in democracy itself, are secured with the implementation of political finance regulations.
Enabling free and fair elections with effective political finance regulation has become a common objective for many countries and organisations. Electoral Management Bodies, anti-corruption agencies and civil society organisations are examining the various dimensions of political financing and its impact on free and fair elections. The stakeholders concerned with regulation will require a concerted strategy to effectively plan and implement the right regulatory frameworks to tackle the misuse of money in politics.
This one-week programme will provide those involved in the regulation of political finance, whether from a political, civil society or elections management perspective, with an in-depth examination of the issues involved. It offers participants the opportunity to develop their understanding of how a political finance regulatory regime may be developed and implemented, and to reflect on lessons from countries that have already introduced such provisions and laws.
Through interactive discussions, presentations and examination of case studies, led by experts in the field, participants will be able to develop their understanding of the key elements involved regulating political finance.
Participants will receive a certificate from the International Centre for Parliamentary Studies recording the successful completion of the programme. In addition, upon completion of subsequent written tasks, participants will be awarded a Level 5 CMI certificate in Management & Leadership. The CMI is the only chartered professional body in the UK dedicated to promoting the highest standards in management and leadership excellence. The professional qualifications offered by the Institute are internationally recognised and sought after.
By the end of this programme, participants will have:
Click here for further information on why to attend
- Explored in detail key concepts in the analysis of money in politics
- Examined the key components of a regulatory regime for political finance
- Explored in detail the importance of communication and education in supporting the implementation of political finance regulations
- Analysed the central role of transparency, and the importance of public access of information
- Explored the challenges involved in establishing an effective monitoring and investigatory framework
- Drawn on examples from across the world in discussing political finance regulation
- Evaluated the impact of introducing political finance regulation
Click here for further information on the programme
- How and Where Money Affects the Political Cycle
- International Standards in Political Finance Regulation
- Investigating Misuse of Money in Politics
- Foreign and Private Intervention in Politics and Elections
- Contributions and Spending Limits
- Key Components of a Political Finance Regulatory Regime